About our church

The Church of St John

St John's Church, South sideSt John the Evangelist is a fine example of an early Gothic Revival church.

The Leeds Mercury published its impression on Saturday 26 December 1829, a few days after the consecration by the Archbishop of York:

"It is not easy to convey by any written description a correct idea of the appearance of this elegant and beautiful edifice. On descending the hill towards the village the full North view exhibits a beautiful object, and the graceful pinnacles which terminate the buttresses, encircled as they are with flowered finials, heighten the effect."

 
The whole of the exterior and the solid stone buttresses are Ashler of Bramley Fall Stone which for durability is not to be equalled in England, and the Church is no less beautiful now than it was when the Mercury reporter enthused about it almost 200 years ago. 

The basis for the text on the church pages is taken from "A brief history prepared for the 150th. anniversary of St. John's Church" and is reproduced with the kind permission of
 
Mr J Thorp, one of the co-authors. 
 
 
 
 

In November 2014 we were sadly the victims of lead theft at St John's Church. The subsequent water damage has left the church in no fit state to be used. Thanks to the generosity of the Heritage Lottery Fund and National Lottery players we have been able to repair the nave and chancel roofs and the church can now begin to dry out, ready for further repairs and restoration. It is our hope and dream to be able to repair and restore the interior of the church and begin to remodel it for wider use by our community. 

If you'd like to know more about our repairs and restoration and for the latest updates on our fundraising efforts please see our Friends of St John's page.


Printer Printable Version